5 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
¼ cup honey
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place half of the apples on a baking sheet sprayed with pan spray.
- Roast for 10−15 minutes until browned but not burnt.
- In a large saucepot, melt butter and add remaining apples.
- Cook over medium heat until apples are soft enough to mash.
- Add spices and honey. Stir well, mashing the apples as you go.
- Add roasted apples to pot and combine well, leaving roasted apples in larger pieces.
- Season with a pinch of salt and then transfer to an oven-safe serving dish.
- Let rest to room temperature. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook for 10 minutes or until hot.
- from Chef Ted Lahey of Table and Main, a Southern Tavern, Roswell, GA