1 cup crème fraîche
1½ tablespoons harissa
Salt as needed
1 tablespoon lime juice, plus more for serving
2 pounds carrots, trimmed and cleaned
Olive oil as needed
Pinch sea salt
6 tablespoons peanut powder*
Cilantro, mint, and basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place crème fraîche and harissa in bowl with pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Whisk together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place carrots in a bowl and toss with olive oil and pinch of salt. Transfer to a sheet tray and cook until fork tender, about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on size of carrots. Remove from oven and let cool, then refrigerate until well chilled.
- Place chilled carrots in bowl and season with splash of olive oil, a few squeezes of lime juice, and pinch of sea salt.
- To serve, place dollop of harissa crème fraiche on plate. Place carrots on top and drizzle more dressing around carrots. Finish with peanut powder and fresh herbs.
- Recipe from chef Ari Kolender of Leon's Oyster Shop, Charleston, South Carolina