Enjoy this flavorful mushroom pizza from Chef Dale Hawkins of Fish Hawk Acres. The best part is the pizza dough. It can be made in 5 minutes and put away in the fridge for about 3 to 4 weeks. The older it is, the better the taste. It will take on a little sour flavor after hanging out in the back of the fridge and it’s easier to roll when the dough is cold.
Serves 6 to 8
6½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tablespoons yeast
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2¾ cups lukewarm water
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
1 bulb roasted garlic
½ pound shiitake mushrooms
sliced and sautéed in extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces finely grated pecorino cheese
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
2 ounces chevre
Freshly ground pepper
Make the pizza dough:
- Measure all dry ingredients and mix together in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients and blend with heavy spoon until combined. Do not worry about kneading. Split dough in half and place in 2-gallon ziplock bags in the fridge until ready to use.
Make the pizza toppings:
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees with a pizza stone in the bottom ⅓ of the oven.
- Pull a 6-ounce piece of dough from the refrigerator and quickly form it into a ball. Roll the ball out into a ⅛-inch-thick round about 12 inches inPlace on a pizza peel with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the dough with basil, roasted garlic cloves, and shiitake mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil and top with the three cheeses. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slide onto preheated pizza stone and bake for 8−10 minutes. Let the pizza cool slightly before cutting.
- Recipe by Chef Dale Hawkins of Fish Hawk Acres, Rock Cave, West Virginia