Green Curry Paste
- Toast coriander, cumin, and mustard seeds in sauté pan until fragrant and coriander becomes a few shades darker. Cool slightly and then pound with pepper into fine dust. Set aside.
- In food processor, grind cilantro and salt into soft, fibrous paste. One at a time, add lemongrass, galangal, lime zest, chilies, garlic, and shallots. Paste should be smooth before adding next ingredient. Finally, incorporate shrimp paste and reserved crushed seeds.
Slow Roasted Lamb
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees.
- Rub lamb shoulder with Green Curry Paste and wrap in foil.
- Place wrapped shoulder on sheet pan and slow roast for 7 hours, or until tender enough to fall off bone. Once done, cool in foil and reserve whole until ready to use (refrigerate if necessary).
Green Curry Sauce
- Heat nonreactive pot over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and onion to pot and sweat 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, and Green Curry Paste. Sweat an additional 3 minutes. Add shrimp paste and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add coconut milk and fish sauce to pot, bring to simmer, then turn off heat immediately—do not boil.
- Add cilantro, Sichuan pepper, and cumin and coriander. Steep 1 hour before serving, or cool and steep overnight.
Golden Beet Pickles
- Combine vinegar, sugar, water, ginger, red pepper, and coriander in medium saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Mix together beets and peppers and place in heat-safe container.
- Once pickling liquid comes to a boil, pour over beets and peppers. Cover container tightly and let cool.
Thai Trail Mix
Combine all ingredients.
To Assemble and Serve
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Remove leaves and stems from baby beets, rinse, and set aside, reserving all.
- Rub baby beets with oil and salt, wrap in foil, and roast for 30 minutes or until fork tender. Once cooked, remove beets from oven and cool slightly. While still warm, use damp paper towel to rub skins from beets.
- Slice cooked beets into quarters and warm together with picked lamb meat and beet tops in Green Curry Sauce. Once heated through, finish curry with lime juice and serve in deep bowls or small pots, topped with the Beet Pickles, Thai Trail Mix, and picked cilantro leaves. Serve with warm rice.