2 pounds turnips, peeled, cut into ½-inch wedges
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 lemons, zested and juiced
2−3 drops sesame oil
1 tablespoon benne sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, toss turnips with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and vegetable oil.
- Spread seasoned turnips evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until golden on both sides and just cooked through (stirring halfway through cooking), about 20−25 minutes.
- Cool 5−10 minutes, until warm but no longer very hot. Toss warm turnips in lemon zest, lemon juice, and sesame oil. Top with benne seeds and serve.
- from Chef Stuart Tracy of Butcher & Bee, Charleston, SC