2 large Idaho potatoes
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
½ cup clarified butter, divided
¼ cup crème fraîche (can substitute sour cream)
2 ounces Osetra caviar
3-4 chives cut into 1-inch sections
- Peel the potatoes and steam them for 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Using the large-holed blade of a box grater, shred the potatoes.
- Season the shredded potatoes with salt and white pepper and form them into 6 cakes.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the clarified butter over medium heat. Carefully place 3 cakes in the skillet and brown them on both sides for about 5–7 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining clarified butter and potato cakes. The rösti potatoes can be made up to 1 hour in advance and rewarmed before serving.
- Place a small dollop of crème fraîche on a plate and place one of the potato cakes directly on top of it.
- Place a spoonful of crème fraîche in the center of the potato cake.
- Place a spoonful of caviar on top of the crème fraîche.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
- from Patrick O'Connell of The Inn at Little Washington, Washington, VA