½ cup white sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean (cut lengthwise)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup of water
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
2 cups rye whiskey
- Combine all ingredients except for cranberries and whiskey into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Add cranberries and reduce heat to simmer for 5-10 minutes but don’t overcook as the cranberries will burst.
- Take off heat and add whiskey. Let cool.
- Once cool, transfer into to a tight-fitting glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- from Mixologist Joey Allabach of Vivace, Charlotte, NC