2 teaspoons lemon zest
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
2 medium cloves garlic
1 shallot roughly sliced
Salt and black pepper
1 English cucumber peeled seeded and cut on a bias
2 celery stalks
sliced thinly on the bias
2 tablespoons ground fennel seed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ cup packed minced flat-leaf parsley leaves
Kosher salt and black pepper
12 ounces large shrimp peeled and deveined
8 ounces cleaned squid bodies and tentacles, bodies cut into ½-inch rings and large tentacles halved lengthwise
6 ounces sea scallops cut into ½-inch pieces
For the vinaigrette:
For the vegetables:
For the salad:
- Make the vinaigrette: Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Make the vegetables: In a bowl, season cucumbers and celery with fennel seed, red pepper, parsley, salt, and black pepper.
- Make the salad: Bring 4 quarts salted water (as briny as the sea) to a boil. Drop shrimp into water for approximately 4 minutes, until they’re just cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool on a baking sheet at room temperature, then transfer to a refrigerator. In the same boiling water, cook squid rings and tentacles for 1 minute. Repeat same cooling process as shrimp.
- Just before serving, combine scallops with 1 cup of vinaigrette and add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, then fold with shrimp and squid. Transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with vinaigrette, and serve immediately.
- Recipe by Michael Toscano of Le Farfalle in Charleston, South Carolina