1 9-inch pie
1 frozen pastry shell your favorite or make your own
3 eggs,¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup good-quality honey
3 tablespoons cornmeal
Zest of 2 lemons
Pinch of salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
½ cup buttermilk
¼ cup lemon juice
Sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line pastry shell/crust with parchment, fill to top with dried beans, rice, pennies, or pie weights, and bake until edges are lightly golden and bottom no longer looks raw, about 15 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights. Set aside
- Combine eggs, sugar, honey, cornmeal, lemon zest, and pinch of salt in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until completely smooth.
- Add butter, buttermilk, and lemon juice.
- Carefully pour filling into pre-baked shell. Begin to check for doneness after 20 minutes. Pie usually takes about 35−40 minutes, depending on oven. Custard closest to the pastry will set first. Remove pie from oven when center is still slightly loose.
- After removing from oven, immediately sprinkle top of pie with a light dusting of sea salt. Allow to cool completely, about 1−1½ hours, before serving.
- from Phoebe Lawless of Scratch Bakery in Durham, NC