3 pounds brussels sprouts
12 ounces jamon iberico (may substitute bacon),diced
½ cup dry sherry
1 cup diced dried apricots
Olive oil as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim stems off brussels sprouts and remove outer leaves. Cut each sprout in half.
- Put diced jamon iberico in sauté pan or rondo and heat over medium until fat melts and it begins to brown and crisp. Remove jamon from pan and reserve.
- Using the sauté pan with the jamon fat, add brussels sprouts in batches, cut side down, and brown. Remove the sprouts from the pan and set aside.
- Heat dry sherry over high heat until hot. Add dried apricots to the hot liquid. Cover and let soak.
- Pour excess fat out of the jamon sauté pan (or if you need more fat, add some olive oil). Add the brussels sprouts, plumped apricots, sherry, and crisped jamon. Toss and cook until the sprouts are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Recipe from chef Katie Button of Curaté, Asheville, North Carolina