Bacon and Currant Braised Cabbage
- Use tip of sharp boning knife to score skin side of duck breast.
- Place large sauté pan over medium-high heat, and place duck skin-side down in pan. Sear until golden brown and crispy, approximately 4 minutes. Turn over and sear for another 3 to 4 minutes on other side until medium rare. Remove from pan, and let rest.
- To assemble, place spoonful of Bacon and Currant Braised Cabbage on plate then scatter Poached Carrots over top. Slice duck and shingle on top of cabbage. Top with Orange Chili Glaze.
- Cook bacon until crispy in large sauté pan over medium heat. Remove from pan, and strain.
- Add onions and garlic to bacon fat in pan, and sweat for 3 minutes.
- Add sugar, syrup and coffee to pan, then bring to a simmer.
- Add cabbage and cook on medium heat until tender, stirring every few minutes.
- Finish with currants, vinegar, and hot sauce.
Blanch carrots in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain carrots, and then sauté with remaining ingredients until tender.
Orange Chili Glaze
- In medium sauce pan reduce orange juice to a syrup.
- Add chicken stock, sambal oelek and Worcestershire sauce to pot, and stir to combine.