8 sea scallops or 16 Bay scallops
4 stalks salsify, peeled and immersed in lemon water
1 medium onion
12 large chickweed leaves
½ gallon apple cider
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons butter
For Burnt Onions
- Peel onion and thinly slice one half. Place in 350-degree oven until dry and completely burned.
- Using a spice grinder, grind into a fine powder.
- Take other half of onion and char in a very hot cast iron pan, then cook through in hot oven. Let cool and slice into small wedges.
For Apple Gastrique
- Reduce apple cider over medium-high heat until it becomes thick and syrupy.
- Add cider vinegar to thin out syrup.
- Slice salsify into ¼-inch segments and caramelize in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, basting occasionally until fully cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Sear scallops in a hot pan until golden brown.
- Use remaining butter and baste until fully cooked (about 4 minutes for sea scallops) and about 2 minutes for bay scallops.
- Place a spoonful of apple gastrique on center of plate, then top with 2 sea scallops or 4 bay scallops.
- Arrange charred onions, salsify, and dried burnt onion powder on plate as desired.
- Garnish with chickweed leaves and serve immediately.
- from Chef Tucker Yoder of The Clifton Inn, Charlottesville, Virginia