1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pat chicken dry and season generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Half garlic across equator and set aside.
2. Heat canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Lay chicken skin side down in skillet and cook for 15 minutes without disturbing. (Aim to get as much of the skin in contact with the pan, as this is when the crisping magic happens.)
3. After 15 minutes, flip chicken and place garlic halves, cut side down, in pan. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Flip chicken again so skin side has contact with pan and move garlic to top of chicken (so it doesn’t burn on bottom of pan). Place herbs in oil.
5. Move skillet to oven and cook 15 more minutes. Remove skillet from oven and let chicken rest on a plate, or cutting board for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.