- Start with a large thick-bottomed skillet (I use cast iron) with a lid; the lid will help handle the heat, even the distribution of corn, and keep corn from popping out.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the skillet until it is smoking hot. Add the corn and peppers. Sprinkle on a little salt and cover with lid.
- After a couple of minutes, lift lid carefully and toss corn to expose the top kernels to the skillet surface. Re-cover and continue cooking at high heat for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- At this time, the kernels should be slightly charred. Pour in stock, reduce liquid until almost gone.
- Toss with butter until melted. Ground on some black pepper. Adjust salt and plate in small bowl. Top with mayonnaise and serve immediately.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.