Seasoning Mix (Dry Rub)
- Combine salt, pepper, and paprika to make seasoning mix.
- Wash chicken pieces in cool water, pat dry with paper towels, and sprinkle with seasoning mix. Allow to rest in refrigerator at least 4 hours.
The Smoked Spanish paprika in the dry rub underscores the rich essence that comes from frying in lard and bacon grease combined.
- Heat lard and bacon drippings in cast iron skillet to 350 degrees. The lard should come about halfway up the sides of the skillet (adjust amount to skillet size).
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper. Place flour in a separate bowl.
- One piece at a time (starting with heaviest pieces), dip chicken into egg wash, squeeze, dip into flour, and place gently in skillet. Do not overcrowd skillet.
- Maintain temperature of 350 degrees. Use tongs to turn chicken after halfway cooked (breasts after 12 minutes, thighs after 10, legs and wings after 6). Add the legs and wings after turning the breasts.
- Chicken is done when no longer hissing and juices run clear. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.