- Rub brisket liberally with BBQ spice on all sides.
- Preheat a smoker to 250 degrees. (Note: Consider purchasing a smoker if you don’t have one. You can find one for about $140 at a place like Home Depot. They are far easier to use than you may think!)
- Place brisket on smoker and cook for a minimum of 3 hours and a maximum of 12 hours. If you smoke for the full 12 hours, be prepared to serve immediately.
- If going on the smoker for a shorter period of time, then after 3-6 hours, combine mustard, sugar, and horseradish into a paste. Rub paste liberally all over brisket and wrap tightly in foil.
- With fat cap side up, place foil-wrapped brisket in a roasting pan. Roast in a 200 degree oven for about 11 hours. Serve with charoset (recipe follows).
If you don’t have a smoker, you can cook the brisket entirely in the oven. Simply follow the foil wrapped instructions.