1¼ ounce mezcal
1 ounce grapefruit juice
1 ounce lime juice
1 teaspoon jalapeño-infused agave syrup (recipe follows)
Smoked sea salt for rim
Jalapeño slices for garnish
2 jalapeños, split lengthwise
2 cups agave syrup
Jalapeño-Infused Agave Syrup
- Combine mezcal, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and jalapeño syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Moisten the rim of a 10-ounce rocks glass with lime juice and dip into smoked salt.
- Shake cocktail vigorously, pour into glass and garnish with jalapeño slice.
For Jalapeño-Infused Agave Syrup
- In a small saucepan, cook the jalapeños in the agave syrup on low heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove jalapeños and cool
- From Evan LeRoy of Freedmen's Bar, Austin, Texas