- Bring 2 gallons of salted water to a boil. Add in Brussels sprouts and cook about 1½ to 2 minutes until a little soft and bright green.
- Immediately transfer to an ice bath to cool completely and pat dry.
- Place pork jowl in a sauté pan on low heat and render fat, stirring often until just under crispy.
- Strain the jowl, reserving the fat.
- In a large sauté pan, sweat out onion until translucent.
- Tuning up the heat to medium, add the jowl fat and Brussels sprouts, then the jowl, thyme, and chili flakes and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste before serving.