Serves 6 to 8
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup high-gluten flour
1 tablespoon mother
The starter must be made at least twelve hours in advance. No sourdough mother in your fridge? Get a recipe to make your own here.
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
Pinch kosher salt
1 tablespoon butter, melted
8 eggs, whites and yolks divided
2 cups sourdough starter
4 cups buttermilk
Toppings: Maple syrup, seeded butter (recipe follows), and macerated cherries (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1⁄2 cup butter, at room-temperature
1 cup frozen cherries
1⁄2 cup maple syrup
For the sourdough starter:
For the pancakes:
Make the Sourdough Starter
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours and mother with 2 cups water. Set aside for at least 12 hours.
Make the Pancakes
- In a mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients and set aside. In another large bowl, whisk melted butter into egg yolks. Then, whisk in sourdough starter.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until fluffy. While mixing on low speed, slowly stream buttermilk into egg whites. Whisk whites into yolk mixture, then whisk in dry ingredients.
- Heat griddle over medium heat. Spoon batter onto griddle and cook until lightly golden on each side. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve pancakes topped with maple syrup, seeded butter, and cherries.
Make the Seed Butter
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Toast seeds for about 6 minutes, then set aside to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter until softened. Add toasted seeds and mix until thoroughly combined.
Make the Macerated Cherries
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries and syrup and cook until cherries have softened.
Recipe ByJune's All Day, Austin