5 tablespoons canola oil, separated
½ teaspoon asafetida
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
3½ cups yellow onion,
thinly sliced lengthwise
¾ small head green cabbage,
cored and finely cut lengthwise (about 4½ cups)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1 tablespoon whole black mustard seeds
4 whole dried red chilies
2 teaspoons lime juice
- In a large frying pan, heat 4 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat. Add asafetida, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, pepper, and salt. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and add ginger and garlic paste, mixing well. Sauté 4 minutes. Stir in onions and cook 8 minutes.
- Add cabbage. Coat with spice mixture and cook for 10 minutes or until cabbage is translucent.
- Turn heat to low and add unsweetened and sweetened coconut. Mix well. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil on medium high. When oil is hot add cumin and fennel seeds. Fry until seeds are lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully add black mustard seeds and whole red chilies. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes until black mustard seeds begin to pop. Immediately remove from heat and add mixture with oil to cabbage. Add lime juice. Stir cabbage mixture and serve.
- from Lavanya Sabin of Charleston, SC