1 quart milk
1 sage leaf
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ cup stone ground oats, preferably Anson Mills
Agave or honey to taste
Salt to taste
Franks RedHot Sauce to taste,Ricotta Espuma (recipe follows)
Ricotta Espuma(aka enlightened ricotta)
300 grams heavy cream
200 grams ricotta
5 grams salt
5 grams honey
2 grams Franks RedHot Sauce
1 gram xanthan gum
1 cup oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup corn flakes or your favorite cereal
½ cups sunflower seeds
1 cups whole wheat flour
½ cups wheat germ bran
6 cups pistachios
⅛ teaspoon Chinese five-spice (taste after it’s baked and season with more as needed)
¾ teaspoon salt (taste after it’s baked and season with more as needed)
Syrup (recipe follows)
1 cup dried cherries, chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried apricots, diced
1 cup honey
1 cup vegetable or grapeseed oil
1 whole vanilla bean
- Heat milk and sage in large pot to approximately 180 degrees, just below boiling.
- Remove sage from pot, and add extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk in oats, reduce heat to medium, and cook until tender.
- Season with agave, salt, Franks. Adjust consistency with water or milk as needed, and serve warm.
Chef Note: While completely optional; at the restaurant we top it with ricotta espuma, Holy Smoke honey, granola and Chinese five-spice. In my opinion the five-spice provides more depth, while at the same still provides the same flavor association as cinnamon.
(aka Enlightened Ricotta)
- Scale ingredients.
- In a small pot, heat cream, ricotta, salt, honey, and Franks RedHot sauce.
- Transfer to blender and purée until smooth.
- With blender running, sprinkle xanthan gum into vortex.
- Pour into isi siphon, and charge with 1 -2 NO2 cartridges.
- Serve warm.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Place all ingredients except syrup, cherries, cranberries and apricots in large bowl. Stir to combine, and then pour syrup over ingredients. Stir again to mix well.
- Place raw granola on parchment-lined sheet tray, and bake until golden brown and crunchy, approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours. Stir every 20 minutes while baking.
- Remove from oven, and cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, add cherries, cranberries and apricots.
Combine ingredients in small pot, and bring to a boil. Strain out vanilla bean.
Note: Seeds, nuts and dried fruit ingredients can vary to suit your taste. Just stick to roughly the same amounts so you don’t flood the syrup.
Chef Nate Whiting of 492 in Charleston, South Carolina prepares an amazing oatmeal, which pairs the creamy brightness of ricotta with the satisfying crunch and pop from Chinese five-spice granola.
- From Executive Chef Nate Whiting of 492 in Charleston, South Carolina