Photo by: James Smith
Makes 40 cookies
4 cups flour, 3½ teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground cardamom, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, 1 cup crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped, 1½ cups unsalted butter, 1½ cups sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, ½ cup dark molasses, 1 teaspoon vanilla, Turbinado sugar for rolling
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add crystallized ginger and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed to low, add eggs, molasses, and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Add flour mixture, again mixing until just combined. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Shape the dough into 1½-inch balls, rolling each ball in turbinado sugar to coat. Place on cookie sheet, and chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place each cookie 1½ inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, rotating your cookie sheet halfway through baking time. Cool on sheets for 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Recipe by Arley Arrington of Arley Cakes in Charlottesville, Virginia