Makes 4 sandwiches
2 pounds eye of round
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon fennel seed, toasted and crushed
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups beef stock
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
Red pepper flakes to taste
¼ cup olive oil
4 italian sub sandwich rolls, sliced halfway through
1 (16-ounce) jar vienna beef giardiniera
4 cups beef dip
2 pounds shaved beef
For the beef:
For the beef dip:
For the sandwich:
Note: Be sure to start the beef the day before you plan to make the sandwiches.
- Make the beef: Season beef with salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and fennel seed. Set aside at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill to 275 degrees. Transfer beef to grill and cook until internal temperature reaches 120 degrees, about 1½ hours. Remove beef from heat and set aside at room temperature to rest for 1 hour, then refrigerate overnight.
- Make the beef dip: Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then set aside and keep warm.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Slice beef as thinly as possible. Transfer meat into beef dip, then divide evenly among sandwich rolls. Dip entire sandwich into beef dip until bread is saturated. Transfer sandwiches to plates and garnish with giardiniera.
- From Craig Diehl, Hello, Sailor, Cornelius, North Carolina