2½ cups Souther Biscuit All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
1½ sticks cold butter
1 cup buttermilk
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus a little extra for toppings
Breaded pork tenderloin medallions
Oil for pan frying
Stone ground mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Butter for sautéing
Fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt.
- Cut butter into ½-inch cubes and add to flour mixture. With your hands combine and press cubes until they are as thin as nickels. Place butter-flour mixture in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Make egg wash by whisking together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water. Flour the work surface, rolling pin, and biscuit cutter.
- Remove butter-flour mixture and add buttermilk and parmesan cheese. Combine until you get a good consistency, but don’t over-mix. Work on work surface to a 1-inch-thick square.
- Cut with cutter and place on silpat on a sheet pan. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese. Bake for 17−21 minutes.
- Fry breaded pork tenderloin medallions in fry pan with oil. While frying combine 5 tablespoons stone ground mustard with 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Spread on open biscuits.
- Sauté apple slices with butter, brown sugar, and water until reduced and browned.
- To assemble biscuit: put fried pork tenderloin medallion on bottom of open biscuit, then sautéed apples, all topped with fresh spinach, and then completed with top of parmesan cheese biscuit.
- from Christopher Lowe in Johnson City, Tennessee