¼ cup cream of wheat
1 stick butter
2 cups hot milk
6-8 eggs, slightly beaten
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened, or cottage cheese
1 cup Romano cheese or kefalotiri, grated (optional)
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
½ cup finely chopped green onions (optional)
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 sticks of butter, melted
12-14 Filo sheets
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook cream of wheat with butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until slightly golden brown. Slowly add milk and cook until slightly thickened. Gradually add eggs, stirring constantly 2 minutes. If mixture is too thick, add more milk.
- Remove from heat. Add cream or cottage cheese, Romano or kefalotiri cheese, feta cheese, green onions, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Arrange 7 generously buttered filo sheets in a greased 15×11×2-inch baking pan. Pour in cheese mixture. Cover with 6-7 buttered filo sheets. Brush with butter. Seal edges.
- With a sharp knife cut through top layers of filo to mark pieces. Bake on lowest rack 40 minutes. Cover with parchment paper if filo browns too quickly.
- from The Darby Family Recipe Files, Charleston, SC