Food Culture of the South
- Using food processor, finely chop pecans and vanilla wafers separately. Toast pecans in small sauté pan over low heat or in a 325-degree oven. Let pecans soak in bourbon for 1 hour, then mix with chopped vanilla wafers, salt, and ⅓ cup of the powdered sugar.
- Place chocolate in double boiler. (Don’t allow water to boil.) Add honey and butter. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean pod and add to chocolate. Stir to combine. Once chocolate has melted, combine with pecan mixture. Allow to chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. (This will allow the chocolate to come together and solidify slightly.)
- Remove chocolate from the refrigerator. Rolling it in the palm of your hand or using an ice cream scoop, form into balls about an inch in diameter.
- Roll chocolate balls in remaining cup of powdered sugar. (Alternately, you could roll a few in cocoa, vanilla wafer crumbs, or a combination of coatings.) Store leftovers in a sealed container at room temperature.
- From the TLP test kitchen