One 9-inch pie
1 recipe graham cracker pie crust
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons gelatin
¼ cup water
½ cup cream
- Use your favorite graham cracker pie crust or try ours. Bake in 350 degree oven until edges begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In mixer, combine cream cheese and sugar with paddle attachment until smooth. Add lemon juice and lemon zest and mix until combined. Sprinkle gelatin over water in medium bowl and “bloom” for 5 minutes.
- Add cream to bloomed gelatin and place mixture over double boiler with simmering water. Stir until all gelatin granules have dissolved.
- Fill a large bowl with ice. Scrape gelatin mixture into a smaller bowl (one that can fit into ice bowl), and stir gelatin over ice bath until completely cool. If it thickens too much, rewarm over double boiler.
- Pour gelatin mixture into cream cheese and mix until smooth. Remove paddle and replace with whisk attachment. Whisk for 2 minutes.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Cover tightly with plastic and place in freezer for at least 8 hours. Before serving, let pie rest at room temperature for 1 hour, slice with a hot knife, and top with homemade whipped cream.
Our lemon version says summer, but try other flavors as seasons shift: pumpkin in the fall, coconut at Christmas, chocolate anytime.
- from Chef Christina Oxford of The Local Palate's Test Kitchen