2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin*
½ cup of cold water
2 ½ cups tomato juice, separated
¼ teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon onion juice
¾ cup diced celery
- Soften gelatin in ½ cup cold water.
- Heat 1 cup of tomato juice on stovetop, pour over gelatin, and stir until dissolved.
- Add remaining tomato juice, pepper, salt, and Worcestershire. Chill until mixture begins to thicken and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into greased mold and chill until set. Serve with herbed mayonnaise.
*Don’t be afraid to use gelatin! It gives a twist to a salad, a pump to a dessert, and a shape to a cream pie.
- Recipe by Bill Bowick and David Bouffard of Sugar Bakeshop, Charleston, South Carolina