serves 6 or one 10-inch tart
2 cups finely crumbled lady fingers
½ cup finely crushed pistachios, plus more for garnish
1½ tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus more for garnish
4 egg yolks
Sea salt for garnish
- To make crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix to combine crumbled cookies, pistachios, and sugar. Add butter and mix until incorporated.
- Press mixture into 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Place tart pan on sheet pan, and bake until crust begins to turn golden-brown, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool.
- For the filling, melt both chocolates in double boiler over medium heat. Use rubber spatula to stir and wipe down sides of pan. Stir until chocolate is smooth.
- In a separate saucepan, combine cream and orange zest, and heat to almost a simmer then set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks in small bowl, and slowly pour ⅓ hot cream into yolks while whisking. Slowly pour egg yolk mixture back into saucepan while whisking. Continue to whisk until combined.
- Repeat tempering process by slowly pouring cream and egg mix into chocolate while stirring. If you are worried about any lumps of cooked egg feel free to strain chocolate through fine mesh strainer at this point.
- Pour chocolate into prepared crust, filling evenly (and making sure to give a taste test for “quality control”), then chill for 3-5 hours.
- Remove tart from pan, slice, and garnish with sea salt, chopped pistachios, and zest.
- from Chef Amelia Scatena and Chef Bill Scatena of Cannon Green in Charleston, South Carolina