2 cups raw Geechie Boy white grits
Water to cover
Corn stock (recipe follows)
½ pound butter
Salt and pepper
4 cups heavy whipping cream
4 cups whole milk
1 cup of cut corn + the corn cobs
For the Grits
For the Corn Stock
- Place grits in a container, submerge in cold water, and soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain and slowly add to hot corn stock, whisking constantly until incorporated.
- Continue to simmer, whisking periodically to prevent clumping or sticking to bottom, until grits have absorbed most of the stock and are tender.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk in butter and season with salt and cracked pepper.
- Combine all ingredients in a 5-quart stock pot.
- Simmer for two hours then remove cobs.
- from Chef Jon Cropf of The Drawing Room at The Vendue, Charleston, SC