2 tablespoons butter
1 small carrot, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 celery rib, diced
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
2 fresh truffles,cleaned
2 cups champagne
1 cup thickened stock
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the diced vegetables.
- Season with salt. Add the thyme and bay leaf and cook covered over a moderate heat until very tender.
- Add the truffles and 2 cups champagne. Season.
- Cook covered for 15 minutes. Remove the truffles.
- Add 1 cup stock to the vegetables and cook until reduced to 1 cup.
- Turn off heat. Add the truffles and heat for 2 minutes. Serve.
- from truffle farmers Franklin and Betty Garland, Hillsborough, NC