Cook a tuna burger as you would a tuna steak, on a very high-temperature grill.
Black Sesame Mayo
- In a mixing bowl, combine tuna, green onion, crushed red pepper, salt, and sesame oil. Mix evenly and form into 4 equal-size patties. Place 4 burgers on a high-temperature grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side. These will be medium rare.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of black sesame mayo on the top and bottom of each bun. Place tuna burger on bottom bun, top each burger with 3 slices of tempura avocado and 3 sprigs of cilantro. Finish with top of bun.
- In a blender, add sesame seeds and purée until smooth. Add egg yolks and water. Blend.
- Slowly add canola oil in a very thin stream, allowing mixture to emulsify. Still blending, finish with sesame oil, crushed red pepper, and salt. Refrigerate.
Yield 1 pint
- In a deep saucepan, bring canola oil to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and corn starch, using a whisk to incorporate evenly. Using a fork, slowly mix in soda water. Do not overmix.
- Cut avocado into quarters; remove skin and pit. Cut quarters into thirds to total 12 equal-size slices.
- In 2 batches, dredge 6 slices of avocado into tempura batter and add to oil. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove and place on paper towels; season with sea salt.
Yield 12 slices