For the dough
- In a medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender, or pinching into small pieces using your fingers, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Use a fork to stir in water a few tablespoons at a time, until the mixture forms a ball. Pat into a ball, and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (and up to 3 days).
For the pesto
- In a food processor with the blade attachment, mix the parsley, garlic, almonds and Parmesan until finely chopped.
- With the processor on, slowly pour olive oil into mixture in a even stream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble the empanadas
- On a floured surface, roll each ball out into a 1/8 inch thin circle. Spoon 1 tsp pesto, 2 tbsp kale, 1 tbsp tomatoes, 1 tbsp scrambled egg and 1 tsp goat cheese onto the center, then fold into a half-moon shape. Seal edges by pressing with a fork.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees. Place one or two pies into the fryer at a time. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning once to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.