12 ounces (80/20) ground chuck
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
6 burger buns,Louisiana citrus slaw (recipe follows)
Pickled beets (recipe follows)
2 ounces chèvre cheese
½ head cabbage, thinly sliced on a mandoline
Zest of 1 orange plus segments from 2 oranges, juice squeezed from core
⅓ cup chopped pickled jalapeños
1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 large beets, trimmed and thoroughly washed
2 cups cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
2 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
3 teaspoons kosher salt
For the burger:
For the citrus slaw:
For the pickled beets:
For the burger:
- Preheat grill to high and oven to 350 degrees. Combine chuck with salt and pepper and portion into 6-ounce patties. Grill to desired doneness.
- To assemble, warm buns in oven. Place a thick layer of Louisiana citrus slaw on bottom bun, then burger patty. Top with pickled beets, chèvre, and top bun.
For the Louisiana citrus slaw:
Combine all ingredients. Let marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap beets in foil, place in oven, and roast until tender, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then peel, and cut into 1-inch slices. Transfer to a wide, shallow container and set aside.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cloves, bay leaf, salt, and ½ cup water to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour liquid over beets. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Recipe from chef Ashley Roussel of the Saint Street Inn, Lafayette, Louisiana