For the Burger
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil until fragrant.
- Chill and mix with all other ingredients.
- Divide the mix into (8) 4-ounce patties and cook in skillet or nonstick pan over medium-high heat until desired doneness.
For the Ketchup
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on high for 20 minutes. Cool enough to blend and purée until smooth.
- Pass through a strainer and reserve.
Editors’ Note: The chef serves this on a housemade sweet potato bun aside “blossom” onion fries and a spring onion and parsley salad.