Walking the Dead
½ ounce Montelobos Mezcal
1 ounce Tapatio 110 Blanco Tequila
½ ounce grilled lime juice
2 ounces fresh pressed watermelon juice
½ ounce cane juice syrup
Top with Topo Chico
Salt stripe down side of glass
Plank of compressed watermelon (sous vide with salt tincture and habanero shrub)
8 ounces neutral spirit
2-3 ounces Kosher salt
a rectangular about ¾-inch thick and 3-4 inches long
2 droppers full habanero shrub
such as Bitterman’s Hellfire Habanero Shrub
Sal de Gusano (worm salt!)
*vacuum seal and sous-vide required
Compressed Watermelon Plank*
Waking the Dead
- Shake and strain over rocks in a Collins glass.
- Create a salt stripe down the side of glass by taking a lime wedge and running it the length of the glass, then gently press the “limed” area into a bed of kosher flake salt. Add a lime wheel and cucumber spiral to a skewer and lay a plank of compressed watermelon across top of glass.
Compressed Watermelon Plank
- To make a salt tincture, place neutral spirit into a vacuum bag with salt. Vacuum-seal and place in sous-vide cirulator bath at 130-140 degrees for 2 hours, or until no more salt will dissolve. Strain and store in a non-reactive container.
- Vacuum-seal watermelon plank in a plastic bag with a few dashes salt incture and habanero shrub. Allow to sit for at least 1 hour. Remove from plastic and dip top of plank in Sal de Gusano.
- Recipe by Leslie Ross of Triniti in Houston, Texas