approximately 1 ½ pints
2 pounds ground beef
Salt and pepper
4 buns, preferably homemade
½ cup pimento cheese
4 tablespoons bacon jam*
1 large tomato, cut into 4 equal-size slices
Butter lettuce leaves, washed with stems removed
2 pounds bacon, diced, 1 pound brown sugar
1 cup sherry vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons thyme
1 ½ tablespoons fresh sage
½ tablespoon chili flakes
- Form ground beef into 4 equal-size patties. Season with salt and pepper. Place burgers on a high temperature grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. These will be medium.
- Remove from grill and rest for 1-2 minutes.
- To plate, top each burger with 2 tablespoons pimento cheese. On each bottom bun, spread 1 tablespoon of bacon jam. Place burger on top of bottom bun. Top burger with sliced tomato, butter lettuce, and finish with top of bun.
- Render bacon, but do not crisp.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan and reduce by 1/3. Slightly cool to room temperature then purée until smooth in a blender, adding water if needed.
**or, try topping with Pine Street Market Bacon Jam.
- from Chef Craig Deihl of Cypress in Charleston, South Carolina