1 leek, white parts only, minced
Canola or other neutral-tasting oil as needed
2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
1 medium zucchini, grated
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons potato starch
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and place a cooling rack on a sheet pan. Set aside.
- On medium heat, sauté leek in 1 tablespoon oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Season potatoes and zucchini with salt and let sit 15 to 20 minutes. Press out as much water as possible with a fine mesh strainer then stir in leeks and potato starch.Form into 3-inch patties.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Let sear on one side for 5 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes, or until patties are golden brown. Blot on a paper towel to drain off excess oil, then place on cooling rack in warm oven while you finish making the rest of the latkes. Serve piping hot.
- Recipe by Chef Michael Shemtov of Butcher & Bee in Charleston, South Carolina and Nashville, Tennessee