- Soften onion in butter. Add Arborio rice and stir over medium heat to toast the rice. Add warm stock ½ cup at a time, stirring often, waiting until the liquid is almost fully absorbed before adding the next cup.
- When the rice is tender, stop adding the stock. Fold in beet puree, crème fraîche, Parmesan, and chives. Stir vigorously to incorporate. Add a little more stock if the risotto is too thick. The consistency should be saucy. Add salt to taste.
- Divide the risotto between 4 plates. Sprinkle with roasted beet cubes, chèvre, toasted pistachios, lemon zest, and baby beet greens. Serve.
Bull’s Blood Beet Purée
- Thinly slice beets. Spread in an even layer in a tall sauté pan.
- Add vinegar, enough water to cover beets, sugar, and salt.
- Cover with a piece of parchment paper and cook over medium heat until the beets are soft and the liquid has reduced to a glaze. If the liquid evaporates before the beets are cooked add a little more water and cook longer.
- Puree beets in a blender with the cream. Check seasoning.
Yield: 2 cups