- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Break bread into small pieces. Place in mixing bowl with sugar, evaporated milk, milk, vanilla, egg yolks, and melted butter.
- Mix well and pour into 10x8x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- For the meringue, beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar and cream of tartar until stiff. Cover pudding with meringue and rebake for 3 or 4 minutes until meringue is golden. Serve with rum sauce.
For Rum Sauce
- In a double boiler add evaporated milk, regular milk, sugar, and butter. When hot, dissolve cornstarch in a little water and add to hot milk. Stir until thick.
- Remove from heat and add rum.