- In a medium bowl, combine yeast and water and let proof.
- In a mixer with a paddle, combine the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the shortening until mixture is the texture of coarse cornmeal.
- Add the buttermilk and yeast mixture from step 1, mixing only until combined.
- Place dough in well-oiled tub, cover with plastic, and let rise
- In the morning, roll on a very well-floured table to about ¾ inch thick. Cut with 3-inch ring cutter and place on papered sheet pan. Let rise in proofer until doubled in size and “floppy.”
- Bake at 325 degrees until browned.