1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 ½ pounds ground bison
1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4-6 ounces dark beer
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 15-ounce can kidney beans drained
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add the carrot and cook to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add the ground bison, raise heat to medium, and brown, breaking up the meat and stirring often until the meat is no longer pink (about 5 minutes).
- Add bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeno and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, chili powder, and red pepper flakes, and tomato paste and stir for 1 minute (blooming the spices so they have a richer flavor).
- Add beer and cook mixture to reduce it until almost dry. Add tomatoes, bay leaves, and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, for about 20 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with your favorite toppings. Serve over rice or on its own.
Recipe ByThe Local Palate Test Kitchen