Even with such a complicated name, this recipe couldn’t be easier. However, don’t let the ease of this recipe fool you as it boasts tons of flavor. Follow my step-by-step instructions for this delicious and hearty favorite.
4 hamburger buns
2 pounds skirt steak
¼ cup olive oil
Fresh cracked pepper
Caramelized onions (see below)
Basil-balsamic mayo (see below)
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, finely minced
¼ cup fresh basil, julienned
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Bistro Beef Steak Sandwiches
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Slice buns and cook cut side down over direct heat until slightly charred and toasted.
- Coat the skirt steak in oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add the steaks to the grill over direct heat and cook for 2−3 minutes on each side for medium rare/medium (depending on the thickness). Remove steaks from grill, allowing them to rest for 4−5 minutes before slicing.
- Thinly slice the steaks on the bias and across the grain every ¼ inch or so. Pile the sliced steak high on the bottom side of the bun while generously coating the top side of the bun with the mayo and onions. Top off the sandwich and serve immediately.
- Add ingredients into a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook onions for 25−35 minutes, stirring often until browned and tender.
- Wisk together ingredients into a mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. Cover and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Recipe ByMatt Moore