2 Coffee Cakes
½ cup milk
½ cup oil
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs beaten
1 package of yeast (¼ ounce)
3 ½-4 ½ cups flour
1 stick butter, melted
⅔ cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons warm milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
- In ¼ cup of warm, not hot, water, add yeast and let bloom until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- While yeast blooms, scald milk. In blender, combine milk, oil, sugar, eggs, and salt. Blend until mixed.
- Add yeast and mix, then gradually add flour until dough is stiff. Place in greased bowl. Cover until doubled (overnight).
- Punch down and knead dough. Divide dough in half. Roll out half of dough to 8 x 12 rectangle.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts in bowl.
- Brush rolled dough with half a stick of melted butter. Cover with half of the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts mixture. Starting with long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place roll in pie pan to form a circle and pinch ends together. Cut dough at 1-inch intervals with scissors ¾ of the way through. Repeat with other half of dough in another pie pan.
- Allow dough to rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar, warm milk, and vanilla to make glaze. Glaze cakes while still warm from the oven.
Recipe FromLouisa Hawkins of Elizabeth's, Charleston