Take punches to a new level with the Fritai Fruit Cup by mixologist Ian Julian from Fritai. This fruit punch is great for parties that need a little extra freshness. Go on a trip to the Carribean with this Haitian inspired riff that will have you ready for vacation.
Recipe by Ian Julian, Fritai, New Orleans, Louisiana
For the citrus oleo saccharum:
2 cups sugar
8 cups of cubed fruit
such as mango
pineapple, papaya , and melon
2 (750-milliters) bottles clairin
28 ounces sweet vermouth
14 ounces dry curaçao
2 cups citrus oleo saccharum
4½ cups lime juice
2 (12-ounce) bottles Topo Chico Garnish: Ice block or several large ice cubes
For the cocktail:
Make the citrus oleo saccharum:
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove zest from lemons and limes in wide strips, leaving white pith behind. In a mixing bowl, toss zest strips with sugar. Strain into an airtight container, pressing on solids to extract as much oil as possible. Cover and let sit at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
Make the cocktail:
- In an airtight container, combine fruit and clairin. Cover and store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 days.
- Strain fruit and set aside. To the clairin, add sweet vermouth and dry curaçao.
- In a punch bowl, combine oleo saccharum and lime juice, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in a clairin mixture. Add infused fruit pieces, the stir in Topo Chico. Add ice block and top with more infused fruit.
- Recipe by Ian Julian, Fritai, New Orleans, Louisiana