- Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and then onion. Cook until translucent then add garlic. Do not brown garlic. Add lamb and cook until done.
- Remove meat from pan and drain.
- Add chicken stock and potato to small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer and cook 3-5 minutes until tender. Remove potato from pan and continue to simmer chicken stock until reduced to ¼ cup. Add potato and reduced stock to lamb.
- Add minced mint to lamb and salt and pepper to taste. Reserve.
- Prepare favorite unsweetened pie dough such as Nathalie Dupree’s Very Beginner’s Pie Crust. Double Nathalie’s recipe for an 8 hand pie yield in this recipe. After preparing dough, allow to rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough to ¼-inch thick and cut into 6-inch circles (Using bread plate or bowl as a guide is helpful). Place ⅓ cup filling in center of each circle. Drizzle filling with olive oil then fold dough over and seal edge.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Refrigerate pies for 30 minutes.
- Combine egg and milk and use pastry brush to brush onto pies. Slice vent in top of each pie. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.