Bread is the ultimate comfort food, and rolls are an easy way to cure that carb craving. With its buttery finish and crunchy topping, this bread rolls recipe is a dinnertime game changer. Preparing the dough is easy; combine a few staple ingredients and proof for a couple hours. Putting together the topping requires no more than a minute. Proof the rolls for a second time and after another few hours they’re ready for the oven. Pop them in and watch as your dough expands into soft, fluffy rolls with the perfect crunch. You can thank Fearrington House Restaurant for these! Head baker Jenn Hallee says, “It’s the best of both worlds—of a parker house roll and garlic bread—all rolled into one. Just like everything we do at Fearrington, this is our own take on a classic.”
2 cups bread flour
1 cup flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3½ tablespoons softened butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Red pepper flakes, optional
1 egg, for brushing, lightly beaten
For the bread:
For the topping:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all ingredients except for softened butter. Mix on low speed until the dough becomes tacky, about 4 minutes.
- Add softened butter and mix for another 4 minutes on medium speed until the butter is completely incorporated into dough.
- Spray a large bowl with vegetable oil. Place dough in bowl and cover with saran wrap. Let proof in a warm, dry space for about 2 hours.
- Spray a 9-x-13-inch baking dish with vegetable oil. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces, about 2 ounces each. Proof until rolls are doubled in size, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Prepare the topping: In a small bowl, stir to combine all ingredients.
- Brush proofed rolls with egg wash and sprinkle crumb mixture over rolls. Bake at 350 degrees until the internal temperature is 200 degrees, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Recipe by Jenn Hallee of Fearrington House Restaurant, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Recipe by Jenn Hallee of Fearrington House Restaurant