At Saint Street Inn in Lafayette (now closed), chef Ashley Roussel is using Louisiana satsuma to incorporate some zing into an orange dreamsicle ice cream recipe.
3½ cups sweetened condensed milk
3 cups evaporated milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups satsuma juice
¼ teaspoon almond extract
Salt to taste
Satsuma Swirl (recipe follows)
7-8 satsumas, peeled
⅓ cup water
¾ cup granulated sugar
Ice Cream Base
Make the Ice Cream Base
- Whisk all ingredients except Satsuma Swirl to combine, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place ice cream base in ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- When mixture is finished freezing, place one third of mixture in freezer safe container and add layer of swirl, add another third of mixture and more swirl, until container is filled.
- Cover and place in freezer for 2 hours.
Make the Satsuma Swirl
- Place satsumas in blender and purée to fine pulp, about 20 seconds.
- Pour orange purée and water into small pan and bring to boil. Once mixture is bubbling, add sugar and stir well. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 30 to 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and cool completely.