Even cucumbers can benefit from a few minutes on the grill. Here, Satterfield grills them alongside shrimp, brushing both with a charred onion-tequila sauce. “They cook super fast,” he says. “You could serve it as an entrée or as an appetizer on toothpicks while people are mingling.”
For the charred onion-tequila sauce:
- Brush onion with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Set on grill and cook until slightly charred on all sides.
- In a blender or food processor, combine charred onion, garlic, lime zest and juice, tequila, and coconut oil. Blend until puréed. Transfer to a small bowl.
For the shrimp and cucumber skewers:
- Heat charcoal or gas grill to hottest temperature. Thread shrimp onto skewers through top and bottom of shrimp, following its natural curve. Thread cucumbers onto separate skewers.
- Brush both with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle 1 teaspoon charred onion-tequila sauce onto each skewer.
- Cook on hot grill on both sides until done, approximately 3-4 minutes total. Serve with remaining tequila sauce and garnish with cilantro.