Even cucumbers can benefit from a few minutes on the grill. Here, Satterfield grills them alongside shrimp and brushes them both with a tropical-flavored sauce.
“They cook superfast,” says Satterfield. “You could serve it as an entrée or as an appetizer on toothpicks while people are mingling.”
– Susan Puckett
Charred Onion-Tequila Sauce
- Brush Vidalia onion with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Set on grill and cook until slightly charred on all sides.
- In blender or food processor, combine charred onion, garlic, lime zest and juice,
tequila, and coconut oil. Blend until puréed. Transfer to small bowl.
Shrimp and Cucumber Skewers
- Heat charcoal or gas grill to hottest temperature. Thread shrimp onto skewers through top and bottom of shrimp, following its natural curve.
- Thread cucumbers onto separate skewers.
- Brush cucumber and shrimp with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle 1 teaspoon Charred Onion-Tequila Sauce onto each skewer.
- Place on hot grill and cook on both sides until done, approximately 3–4 minutes.
- Serve with remaining tequila sauce and garnish with cilantro.