Photo by: James Smith
4 large red beets
1 quart greek yogurt
3 heads fennel
3 pounds carrots with greens still attached
¼ cup grapeseed oil, Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
1 (3-pound) fillet of salmon (ideally, coho salmon), skin removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the beet yogurt
For The Salad
For the Fish
- Make the beet yogurt: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap beets in foil, then puncture foil with a fork. Roast for 1½ hours. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, peel and puree beets until smooth. In a large bowl, fold beets into yogurt until fully incorporated.
- Make the salad: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove greens from fennel and any carrots that are bruised or wilted. Set aside. Peel carrots and chop on the bias into pieces that are approximately ¼-inch thick. Chop the fennel to roughly the same size. Place vegetables in a roasting pan. Coat carrots and fennel with grapeseed oil, salt, and pepper and roast for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Make the vinaigrette: Juice the grapefruit, lemon, and orange, and strain out the seeds. Add mustard and oil and whisk to combine. Right before serving, combine greens, carrots, and fennel, and toss with vinaigrette. Add salt to taste.
- Make the broiled fish: Set fish on a sheet pan and drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper. Place under broiler and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from broiler.
- To serve, spread beet yogurt over a platter. Top with salmon filet and place salad on top or to the side of the fish.
Recipe ByPorter Road Butcher in Nashville